Saturday, March 8, 2008

Grasp

One queer thing that I can recall when I was 8 was this conversation I had with my uncle. He told me that all the medicines that were prescribed to us contained drugs. I was revolted at that notion, because drugs were associated to something evil in my mind.
One definition of what a drug is as follows: "chemical substances prepared and sold as pharmaceutical items, either by prescription or over the counter." Being clueless, I protested back to my uncle "nooo it can't be! why would doctors wanna poison us?" over and over again, unconvinced that medicines contain drugs still. I ought to congratulate Singapore's efforts to combat drug abuse for that.
Our understanding of the world around us is premature. This is so, and will remain to be so forever. A person is recognized to be knowledgeable because he knows not only what others know that they don't know, but also what others don't know what they don't know. There's nothing amazing about knowing what others hope to know, even if they do not do so in due time. Phew.

No comments: