Saturday, March 15, 2008

Angle

My father just came up to me and told me the same old things everytime I'm on to the computer too much. It's hardly surprising considering the fact that I've been on from 9am to 6pm for the past 3 days, and he just happened to not have any work this whole March holidays.
I could usually summarize what his speech to a tenth of the time he took to deliver it, but one point caught my interest. He went on from me playing to the pair of shoes I'm wearing to school. It's a standard issue provided by SAF, which all guys will get to wear during PT. Mine's unique though. The sole is so darn sexy smooth with zero grooves to hold on to anything, and it looked as though it went through the shredder. So my dad said something about how we must present ourselves appropriately, although we needn't conform to everything. It's funny how much he drifts isn't it? That's why I usually zone off within five SECONDS of his diatribe (NOT THE POINT).
Biological diversity is and will always be a celebrated phenomenon by ecologists. The more species of birds present the better, and best if the dodo came back. Cultural/religious/ethnic diversity is more of a point of contention - not everyone will ever like each other, but it's there to stay. What truly polarises us would be individualism. There's the norm, and theres the wacky bunch who we can only label with the word "weird". If I'm didn't recall wrongly, Charles Darwin once commented that the normal distribution of any characteristic would be a bell curve, with the maximum being in the middle and minimum being at the ends. This simply means that there will be the same percentage of people getting 4 A's annually, the same proportion who are born with that blasphemous genetic defect and the same lot of unfortunate few who would suffer from poor IQ. All this being said, this implies that there would always be some who, well, deviate from normal behaviour.
We're most certainly clueless about ourselves. In the Middle ages, kleptomaniacs were probably executed alongside thieves and autistic kids would then be conveniently called retards.
I've heard too often (like you do) about one commenting on another's eccentricity. It is so interesting, because you don't get to observe it everyday and it's simply not within your self-defined parameters of the acceptable. This spells bad news for the truly tragic ones - those with behavioural problems that we do not comprehend.
I saw the list of students my class had to take for CIP at Clementi Town primary. Next to their names were remarks such as "Behavioural Problems", "Weak", "Very Weak" and so on. They are condemned already, so to speak. It is part and parcel of the grading society uses, but it is irrelevant to them. Their immediate need, is to be understood, not labelled. Then we'll ask the favourite question: Why? Circumstantial causes? Genetic makeup? Or just... weird?
I find it remarkably funny that my PAE class called me "emo" instead of my name, as I didn't talk much to them - I didn't want to. I can't blame them nor hate them for something they don't understand. And then there's my CCA in which I'm gradually transforming into just another fixture. Maybe we just don't click one bit.
I must be a really weird person, considering the fact that I belong to the minority that is constantly mesmerised by my computer game. I like playing it so much I wish had a laptop to do so in school. You don't need to be a detective to figure out that I'm an addict, but what gives. I also have a huge propensity to laugh at everything around me, ranging from dirty ones to religious/racial and personal ones. I'm mean in that sense, but I can't help it. Well you get the idea of how (not very) queer I am.
Eh you're seriously damn weird leh.
o[^-(-.-)-^]o
..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.